Notetaking assistance is provided as an accommodation for students whose documented disabilities interfere with their abilities to take notes. Notetaker assistance is intended for a student's personal study use only and is not to be shared with other individuals. This service is provided as a necessary academic accommodation and is not considered a substitute for a student's full participation in each class. Please note, if notes are available online or from the instructor, notetaking assistance is not indicated. However, if you feel your situation warrants special consideration, you must contact the Director of the Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD), Donna Korbel, to discuss your needs.
Students are responsible for notifying the CSD if suitable arrangements are not made within the first two weeks of class or if other difficulties occur during the semester. Notetakers are required to provide notes within 24 hours of each class. Students receiving notetaking assistance are required to pick up notes in a timely manner or at least on a weekly basis.
Within the first two weeks of each semester, students requesting notetakers must meet with a representative of the CSD and provide appropriate documentation to be considered for notetaking assistance.
- Prior to the start of the new semester or within the first two weeks, students requesting notetaking assistance must meet with a representative of the CSD and provide appropriate documentation to be considered for this accommodation.
- If the student is approved for this accommodation, he/she will hand deliver an accommodation letter to the faculty member of each class for which notes are being requested.
- An e-mail will be sent to each requested class seeking a qualified notetaker. Qualifications include regular class attendance, legible and comprehensive notes and the completion of an online notetaking assistance training program.
- Once a notetaker has been identified, an e-mail notification will be sent to the student and faculty member identifying the notetaker. Students are reminded that they are responsible for notifying the CSD if notes are not received in a timely manner or if any concerns regarding the notes arise.
- Students have the option of receiving notes directly from the notetaker after each class or picking up notes at the CSD on at least a weekly basis. Students will choose their preferred method prior to hand-carrying the accommodation letters to their faculty members.
- Prior to a new semester or within the first two weeks, request your accommodations at the CSD
- Identify the preferred method for receiving notes – either directly from the notetaker after each class or picking notes up on at least a weekly basis at the CSD
- Pick up and hand carry your accommodation letters to your faculty members.
- Contact the CSD at 860-486-2020 as soon as possible if:
- Class notes are available online and you no longer need a notetaker
- You make changes to your class schedule
- You have not received notification that a notetaker has been hired
- Any concerns arise regarding your notes
- For general inquiries or information, please contact the CSD notetaking coordinator, Jennifer Lucia, at 860-486-2020.
- Review documentation and recommend appropriate accommodations
- Generate accommodation letters to faculty on behalf of the student
- Assure that qualified notetakers are identified and provide appropriate training
- Resolve issues that arise regarding this accommodation
- Discuss this accommodation with the students and provide support as needed
- If a notetaker is not identified within the first two weeks of the semester, assist the CSD in identifying other alternatives
- Notify the CSD if notes are available online or are made available to all students in the class
- Complete a notetaker contract, employment application, and online training
- If known, maintain the confidentiality of the identity of the student for whom you are taking notes
- Within 24 hours after each class, provide notes in the student's preferred method, which will be shared at the time of hiring
- Notify the CSD regarding the availability of notes online
- Attend each class
- Make sure that notes are legible and comprehensive
- Contact the CSD immediately if for some reason you are unable to continue as a notetaker so that alternate arrangements can be made (e.g. if you change your schedule)
- Fill out time sheets weekly for student payroll
- If you have any questions or concerns, you are encouraged to contact Jennifer Lucia at 860-486-2020.